Irvine Criminal Defense Lawyer
Criminal allegations and investigations can be devastating to your reputation and career. Those accused often feel judged guilty before facts are even heard.
For a combined 75+ years, our Irvine criminal defense attorneys and Irvine DUI attorney have been defending tough state and Federal criminal cases and obtaining the best possible outcomes.
Former Orange County Prosecutor
Our Irvine criminal lawyers have handled over 8,500 felony and misdemeanor criminal and DUI cases and trials. Our experience, awards and results speak for themselves.
Often clients will hire us to intervene early with law enforcement to try and reduce or prevent the filing of criminal charges before they are filed.
We handle tough cases
Individuals and corporations alike come to us to build the best defense strategy to achieve their goals. We have the capability to handle even the toughest cases:
- Serious felony and white collar crime
- Licensed professionals (Medical, nurse license)
- Federal crimes
- Noncitizen criminal defense (Green card, visa holders)
Our Irvine criminal attorneys are legal authorities in the complex intersection of criminal law and immigration or professional license laws.
If you are looking for expert criminal defense and compassionate lawyers laser-focused on protecting you, call (949) 750-2500 for a Free consultation. We offer affordable fees and flexible payment plans.
Award-winning Irvine criminal lawyers
As criminal defense attorneys in both Orange County Superior Courts and Federal court, we have built our reputation by skillfully navigating thousands of clients through investigations, media firestorms and the complex criminal justice system.
We feel the full weight of responsibility when clients entrust us with defending them in some of life’s most challenging situations. We value that trust and treat every client with compassion and respect.
Our lawyers have expertise to handle all criminal and DUI matters:
Tsion Chudnovsky has been successfully representing criminal defense and criminal immigration defense cases since 2002. Tsion is a leading Orange County defense attorney known and respected by judges and prosecutors alike. Clients appreciate her ability to skillfully protect clients during every stage of criminal defense and achieve outstanding results in even the toughest cases.
Ms. Chudnovsky is a nationally recognized authority in criminal defense for both immigrant foreign citizens and U.S. citizens. Tsion is fluent in Spanish, French, Amharic and Italian. Read bio →
Robert K. Weinberg
Robert Weinberg is a preeminent Irvine attorney focused on criminal defense and professional license defense. Robert is a former Orange County Prosecutor practicing law since 1981. He has unparalleled experience handling over 5,000 cases and jury trials in state and federal courts.
Robert is an authority in criminal law and professional license law and their complex intersection for doctors, nurses and professional licensees. He is fluent in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Hebrew. Read bio →
David A. Stein
David Stein has a broad range of experience in all aspects of criminal and DUI defense in Irvine and throughout southern California. David is known as a fierce protector of client’s rights that uses his exceptional investigative abilities and successful defense strategies to secure the best possible outcome for clients. Read bio →
Top-rated criminal defense
Success in securing favorable results and a dedication to service has made Chudnovsky Law amongst the top-rated criminal defense attorneys in California:
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers
- Best criminal defense lawyers in Irvine by Expertise
- 5 Star Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- 10.0 Superb Rating by Avvo
- 5 Star Rating by Findlaw
- 5 Star Rating on Google
Our lawyers are regularly featured in national media including NBC News, CBS News, American Bar Association, Washington Post, The LA Times and many more.
Call (949) 750-2500 for a Free Consultation to review your case and how we can help.
Criminal defense and DUI cases we handle
Our Irvine felony lawyer serves clients throughout California and all areas of Irvine, including Turtle Rock, Irvine Spectrum Center, Northwood, Turtle Rock, University of California Irvine, Shady Canyon, Woodbridge and Orchard Hills for all Irvine criminal charges including:
- White collar crimes, including fraud, credit card theft, embezzlement, tax crimes, insurance fraud and other financial crimes.
- Domestic violence, including criminal threats, child endangerment, domestic battery and corporal injury to a spouse.
- Federal crimes, including bank fraud, conspiracy, money laundering, Medicare fraud and tax fraud.
- Drug offenses, including possession, DUI drugs, pot dispensary violations and prescription drug charges.
- DUI drunk driving, including 1st DUI, 2nd, 3rd, felony DUI, DUI with injury, hit and run, and vehicular manslaughter charges.
- Sex crimes, including false sex crime charges, indecent exposure, lewd conduct, prostitution, rape, sexual assault, Title IX, sexual battery and statutory rape.
- Violent crimes, including homicide, restraining orders, arson and assault with a deadly weapon.
- See all practice areas
We represent clients for all stages of Irvine felony or misdemeanor criminal matters:
- Law enforcement investigations and negotiation
- Bail hearings
- DMV admin per se DUI drivers license hearings
- Resolving warrants
- Protective restraining orders
- District Attorney negotiation
- Arraignment and hearings
- Court and jury trials
- Probation and parole violations
- Expungement and post conviction relief
Irvine criminal immigration lawyer
Our Irvine lawyers are nationally recognized authorities in criminal defense for noncitizen immigrants. Attorney Tsion Chudnovsky is an Irvine criminal and immigration lawyer that knows how to minimize the immigration consequences of criminal charges for:
- Permanent resident, green card holders
- All visa holders including H-1b, L-1, L-2, E-2 and B-2
- International F1 visa students
- DACA recipients
- Undocumented immigrants
Criminal convictions and even just an arrest with fingerprinting can trigger dire consequences, including deportation for noncitizen immigrants.
Call (949) 750-2500 to schedule a Free consultation to review your case
Call (949) 750-2500 for Help Now
Our experienced attorneys know how to protect your record, your family and your future. We handle cases in Irvine and throughout Orange County from our Newport Beach office.
Professional license criminal defense
Criminal charges or even an accusation of misconduct can wreak havoc on the careers of licensed professionals such as doctors, nurses, dentists, chiropractors and financial professionals. For example, a physician recreational drug charge can trigger a Medical Board of California investigation and loss of license.
Robert Weinberg, Melissa DuChene, and Suzanne Crouts are experienced Irvine professional license defense attorneys and criminal defense attorneys.
They skillfully defend all licensed healthcare professionals, health care businesses and corporations for criminal and licensing matters involving California and Federal laws:
- California nurse license defense attorney
- Medical Board of California investigation attorney
- Dental Board of California investigation attorney
- Board of Chiropractic Examiners license defense attorney
- Pharmacist license defense lawyer
These can include any Irvine nurse criminal defense or doctor criminal defense matters such as: Irvine nurse DUI defense, medical license DUI defense, Medical license criminal defense, DCA Division of Investigation investigation, DEA registrant investigation, FBI investigation or Medicare/Medi-Cal fraud.
Chudnovsky Law defends Irvine hospitals, senior care facilities, pharmaceutical companies, pharmacies and skilled nursing facilities for licensing and criminal matters.
Call (949) 750-2500 to schedule a consultation.
Irvine arrest process
If you are arrested for a crime by Irvine Police Department, you will go through:
1) Arrest and jail booking
- After arrest, you will be taken to Irvine Police Department Jail at 1 Civic Center Plaza, Irvine, CA 92606. Call 949-724-7000 for information. This jail is used to briefly hold inmates before release or transfer to Orange County Jail.
- If transferred to Orange County Jail custody, you can find inmates by using the OC Sheriff’s Department online search tool.
2) Bail bonds
- Judges set bail for Irvine residents based on this bail schedule and assessing other factors such as flight risk and nature of the alleged crime.
- You can be released if you post bail or if the District Attorney decides to not file charges. Prosecutors typically only have 48 hours to decide whether to file charges.
- Otherwise, you will stay in Orange County Jail until police transport you to court for a court arraignment.
- Irvine criminal cases are heard at the Harbor Justice Center at 4601 Jamboree Rd, Newport Beach, CA 92660. You can contact the court criminal operations by calling (657) 622-8459.
- Irvine criminal cases are prosecuted in the Harbor Justice Center courthouse by the Orange County District Attorney – Newport Beach Office.
Felony and misdemeanor charges and penalties
The California criminal justice system defines crimes as one of the following:
- An infraction is sometimes called a petty offense. You can be charged with an infraction if you violate a traffic law, administrative ordinance or a city code. Things like speeding or not wearing your seatbelt are considered infractions.
- In California, infractions are punished with fines and will not appear on your criminal record.
- A misdemeanor is a more serious offense. Under California law, misdemeanors may be punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and less than a year in jail. You may also be ordered to perform community service, pay restitution, or attend counseling.
- Our Irvine misdemeanor lawyer handles all misdemeanors in Irvine and throughout California include drug possession, shoplifting, petty theft and drunk in public.
- Aggravated misdemeanors, which are more serious than standard misdemeanors, include restraining order violations, DUI and domestic battery.
- A felony is a serious crime that’s punishable by more than 12 months in prison. Felonies can include murder, rape, white collar crimes, manslaughter and aggravated battery.
- In addition to prison time, the penalties for a felony can include significant fines, the loss of the right to own a firearm and vote, and probation after prison.
- The consequences of a felony conviction can be life-shattering. Time in prison can tear families apart. After prison, finding steady employment can be extremely challenging.
Protect your future
If you are facing criminal charges, help is just a call away. Our Irvine law firm will build a strong defense, work to get the charges reduced or dismissed and keep you out of jail.
Call us at (949) 750-2500 to schedule a FREE consultation.
“Attorney Nicole Enyart recently handled a complex case for me. She and her office did an excellent job. We were hoping for a plea reduction to dry reckless on a Santa Barbara DUI charge. Ms Enyart got the charges dismissed entirely with no fines. I can highly recommend her and her firm to anyone looking for an excellent criminal defense attorney.”
Frequently asked questions
What are white collar crimes and their penalties?
White collar crimes are financial – not physical – crimes. They can be committed by individuals and business or government professionals. They typically involve deceit, violation of trust or concealment in order to gain money, personal or business advantage, property or to avoid losing money.
If you’re convicted of a white collar crime, you face penalties such as:
- Up to 5 years or more in state or federal prison
- Up to $150,000 in fines or more
- Loss of professional licenses
- Restitution costs
Examples of white collar crimes include: Ponzi schemes, corporate fraud, insider trading, falsification of financial information, kickbacks, credit card fraud, embezzlement, tax crimes, forgery and extortion. White collar crimes are often federal crimes.
What are common defenses against financial crimes?
Defending financial crimes is challenging and requires the expertise of an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Effective defense strategies can include:
- Entrapment: A common defense against white collar crimes. Entrapment occurs when coerces or harasses the defendant into committing a crime they wouldn’t otherwise commit.
- Lack of intent: The prosecution must prove that you had intent to commit the crime and deceive. If the act was not committed voluntarily or had unintended consequences, the defense can argue a lack of intent.
- Duress: Your Irvine attorney may argue that you were threatened by harm or death if you didn’t commit the crime.
If you have been charged with a financial crime in Irvine, the case will likely be adjudicated in Harbor Justice Center or Santa Ana Courthouse. Contact our Newport Beach criminal defense lawyer for a free consultation to review your case and types of defenses that may apply for you.
Can domestic violence charges be dropped?
In short, no. In the heat of an argument, you may say things or make threats that you later regret. In the same way, accusations of domestic violence are often made in the heat of the moment. But if charges are filed, there is no way to take them back.
The laws are designed this way to protect victims from being coerced into dropping charges.
Once the charges are filed, a prosecutor will handle the case. The prosecutor and judge have sole discretion over whether to dismiss. The case can become more likely to be dismissed if the victim refuses to testify.
This information does not constitute legal advice. No representations are made as to its accuracy and appropriate legal counsel should be consulted before taking any actions. Contact us to see if Chudnovsky Law is the best Irvine criminal lawyer for you.
We represent clients throughout Orange County and the following Irvine zip codes: 92602, 92603, 92604, 92606, 92610, 92612, 92614, 92616, 92617, 92618, 92619, 92620, 92623, 92650, 92657, 92679, 92697 and 92782.
· · ·