Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you are facing a criminal charge, it is crucial to hire an experienced Los Angeles criminal defense attorney to represent you. Having expert representation can make the difference between going to jail and getting your case dismissed.
At Chudnovsky Law, our Los Angeles criminal lawyer, Los Angeles DUI lawyer, and professional license defense attorneys are highly experienced former prosecutors and defense attorneys. They are known by judges, prosecutors, and license agencies as honest, highly skilled attorneys who work tirelessly to win your case.
Contact us today for a free consultation.
- Why Choose Chudnovsky Law as Your Los Angeles Defense Attorneys
- Award-winning Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Client Reviews
- The High Stakes in Los Angeles Criminal Cases
- Our Los Angeles Criminal Defense Practice Areas
- Our Los Angeles, CA, Criminal Defense Law Office and Headquarters
- The Los Angeles Criminal Court Process
- What Should I Do After Being Arrested in Los Angeles?
- Recent Case Results
- Contact a Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney Today
- Additional Resources
Why Choose Chudnovsky Law as Your Los Angeles Defense Attorneys
Top-rated Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyers
Chudnovsky Law’s team of attorneys has over 75 years of experience defending thousands of clients. We are recognized as Top 100 Trial Lawyers and rated the best criminal defense lawyers in Los Angeles by Expertise.
Awards and Ratings
Clients and professional attorney-ranking organizations consistently rate Chudnovsky Law among the best criminal defense law firms in Los Angeles and throughout California. Our lawyers have an exceptional reputation as compassionate, highly skilled advocates for clients experiencing some of life’s most difficult circumstances.
When you have everything at stake, you can rely on our training, expertise, and inside knowledge of the legal system to achieve the best outcome possible for you. You can read client reviews here and on the following sites:
- 10.0 Superb Rating by Avvo
- 5 Star Rating by Martindale
- 5 Star Rating by Lawyers.com
- 5 Star Rating by Findlaw
- 5 Star Rating on Google
- 5 Star Rating on Yelp
- Rated best Los Angeles criminal defense lawyers by Expertise
As experienced former prosecutors, we know the inner workings of the criminal justice system. We understand what prosecutors are thinking, what their undisclosed policies are, and how to protect you at every step. Our criminal attorneys have unparalleled experience handling over 9,000 felony and misdemeanor cases and jury trials.
We fight to get the best outcome possible
Even if you think the facts are against you, the burden of proof is on the prosecutor. There are many ways we can resolve your case. While we relish court battles, the key goal is to secure the most favorable outcome possible for you. That can come via a case dismissal, a carefully negotiated plea deal, or acquittal in a hard-fought trial.
Dealing with a criminal arrest or police investigation can be stressful. Conviction can have a devastating effect on your life, your license, and your career. Our compassionate attorneys understand the stakes and know how to build a successful defense.
If you are looking for expert criminal defense and compassionate lawyers laser-focused on protecting you, call (213) 212-5002 for a Free consultation. We offer experience and dedication to resolving your case, affordable fees, and flexible payment plans.
Call 213 212-5002 for a Free Consultation
Get Your Charges Dropped or Reduced and Protect Your Future! If you are looking to hire a criminal defense lawyer, we invite you to call for a Free confidential consultation 24/7.
Award-winning Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyers
When you hire Chudnovsky Law, you bring the full force of our team’s extensive courtroom experience, proven trial skills, and reputation with Los Angeles County District Attorneys and judges to help secure excellent results for you.
Our lawyers are nationally recognized legal authorities featured in news media, including CBS News, NBC News, National Public Radio, The Los Angeles Times, and The Washington Post.
Attorney Tsion Chudnovsky is a pre-eminent criminal defense and criminal immigration lawyer, practicing since 2002. Tsion defends clients in all phases of criminal prosecution, from initial police investigations through trials.
Tsion is a nationally recognized authority in criminal defense and defense of non-US citizens and minimizing the immigration consequences of criminal charges. Tsion is fluent in Spanish, French, and Italian. Read bio →
Kareem Aref is a highly experienced former prosecutor and nationally recognized trial lawyer that has successfully handled thousands of criminal cases and jury trials.
Kareem’s practice is focused on criminal defense, DUI defense, federal criminal defense, and defense of licensed professionals and non-citizens. Read bio →
Robert Weinberg is a renowned former prosecutor practicing criminal defense and professional license defense for over 30 years. Robert has exceptional experience personally handling over 5,000 cases and jury trials.
Robert’s practice is focused on criminal defense, federal criminal defense, and professional license defense. Robert is fluent in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Hebrew. Read bio →
Suzanne Crouts is a pre-eminent defense attorney with 20 years of experience successfully defending more than 1,800 cases, jury trials, and hearings.
Suzanne practices criminal defense, DUI defense, and professional license defense for nurses, physicians, healthcare businesses, and all licensed professionals. Read bio →
“During a very difficult time, Chudnovsky Law really made the difference in our lives. A family member was being investigated for a serious felony allegation. Tsion Chudnovsky and her team were very professional and knowledgable about the Los Angeles legal system and clearly explained what we needed to do. They are excellent criminal defense attorneys! They acted fast and were instrumental in clearing up the issue for us and preventing potentially disastrous consequences. I can highly recommend Ms. Chudnovsky for anyone needing a very smart, trustworthy defense lawyer.”
The High Stakes in Los Angeles Criminal Cases
Being convicted of a criminal offense can affect many aspects of your life, including your ability to work, to vote, to have a driver’s license, or to own a firearm. California defendants are subject to the “Three Strikes” sentencing law which can dramatically increase the prison term for multiple convictions. Originally enacted in 1994, the law was amended in 2012 to require that any third-strike offender convicted of a serious or violent felony receive a state prison sentence of 25 years to life.
Chudnovsky Law is dedicated to securing the best possible outcome for you in every type of criminal offense, including:
Misdemeanor offenses are punishable by up to a 364-day jail sentence and fines typically not exceeding $2,000. Misdemeanor offense examples include battery, disorderly conduct, domestic violence, drug possession, drunk in public, DUI, indecent exposure, juvenile crimes, petty theft, shoplifting, and vandalism.
Felony offenses are the most serious, with potential prison sentences of 1 year to life in prison or even the death penalty. Fines can vary widely into the thousands of dollars. Felony offenses can include burglary, domestic violence, drug crimes, DUI with great bodily injury, embezzlement, federal crimes, grand theft, homicide, insider trading, manslaughter, robbery, sex crimes, violent crimes, and white collar crimes.
Wobbler crimes can be punished as either a misdemeanor or felony offense. Prosecutors make the filing determination based on the facts of the case, prior convictions, and the presence of aggravating factors. Common wobbler offenses include assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, child endangerment, child pornography, criminal threats, DUI with injury, forgery, grand theft, hit and run, lewd acts with a minor, sexual battery, spousal battery, stalking, statutory rape and vehicular manslaughter.
Our Los Angeles Criminal Defense Practice Areas
Our criminal defense attorneys vigorously represent clients throughout Los Angeles County and Southern California for every type of criminal matter, including:
- Los Angeles Assault and Battery Defense Lawyers
- Los Angeles Child Endangerment Defense Lawyer
- Los Angeles Commercial DUI Defense Lawyer
- Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer
- Los Angeles Domestic Violence Lawyer
- Los Angeles Driver’s License Hearings
- Los Angeles Drug Crime Lawyers
- Los Angeles Drug Possession While Armed Defense Lawyers
- Los Angeles Drug Transportation Defense Lawyer
- Los Angeles Drunk in Public Defense Lawyers
- Los Angeles DUI Causing Injury
- Los Angeles DUI Lawyer
- Los Angeles DWI Lawyer
- Los Angeles Felony Defense Attorney
- Los Angeles Felony DUI Lawyer
- Los Angeles Limited Driving Privileges Lawyer
- Los Angeles Marijuana Sales Defense Lawyer
- Los Angeles Misdemeanor Defense Attorney
- Los Angeles Multiple DUI Attorneys
- Los Angeles Sex Crimes Lawyer
- Los Angeles Theft Crimes Lawyer
- Los Angeles Vehicular Manslaughter Lawyer
Los Angeles Professional License Criminal Defense
Medical doctors, nursing, dental, chiropractic, and all professional license holders face significant risks from criminal investigations and charges. Convictions and even mere allegations can trigger licensing board investigations that can ruin your career.
Attorneys Robert K. Weinberg, Suzanne Crouts, and Melissa DuChene are Los Angeles professional license defense attorneys and criminal defense attorneys with extensive experience representing licensed healthcare professionals in criminal matters and licensing board investigation defense. They are adept at managing the complex intersection of state and federal criminal and licensing laws – all with the goal of protecting your life and career from accusations.
Chudnovsky Law provides effective representation for all types of professional licenses, businesses, and these healthcare specialties:
- California Nursing License Defense Lawyer
- California Medical License Defense Lawyer
- California Dental Board License Defense Lawyer
- California Chiropractic License Defense Lawyer
- California Pharmacist License Defense Lawyer
Chudnovsky Law handles all state and federal professional license criminal defense matters, including Los Angeles nurse DUI defense, medical doctor DUI defense, pharmacist criminal defense, nurse criminal defense, doctor criminal defense, federal DEA physician registrant investigation, chiropractic license defense, pharmacist DUI, dental license defense, dentist DUI defense, chiropractor criminal defense, and medical license criminal defense.
Contact us to schedule an attorney consultation to learn more.
Los Angeles Noncitizen Immigrant Criminal Defense
Permanent residents, green card holders, DACA recipients, visa holders, and all non-U.S. citizens can be subject to serious immigration consequences for DUI and criminal charges. Under U.S. immigration law, many crimes can cause deportation for noncitizens, including DUI DACA, no matter how long they have been in the United States.
Tsion Chudnovsky is a Los Angeles criminal immigration lawyer with extensive experience representing non-U.S. citizens charged with crimes. She is a recognized authority in the intersection of criminal and immigration laws and knows how to protect your future from the immigration effects of arrests, DUI, and criminal convictions.
In 2016 California enacted PC § 1016.2 and PC § 1016.3 which require that prosecutors consider immigration consequences when resolving criminal cases. To learn about how how we use these laws to protect noncitizens, contact us for a free consultation.
USC/UCLA DUI and Criminal Defense
Chudnovsky Law represents students for DUI and criminal defense at all universities in LA County. including USC, UCLA, East Los Angeles College, Santa Monica College, California State University Northridge, and Los Angeles City College. USC students who are arrested for any criminal or DUI offense should contact Chudnovsky Law’s USC criminal defense lawyer.
The University of Southern California (USC) reported 11,729 international students in Fall 2022, making USC one of the largest international student universities in the United States. International F1 student visa DUI causes a variety of complications because an F1 visa is revoked due to DUI or criminal arrests.
International students facing DUI or criminal charges should consult with the experienced criminal defense attorney and immigration lawyers of Chudnovsky Law in order to minimize the effects on their ability to continue to study in the US. UCLA students arrested for any criminal or DUI offense should contact Chudnovsky Law’s UCLA criminal defense attorney lawyer to skillfully fight their case.
Los Angeles Pre-filing Investigation Defense
After being accused of any crime in California, it is essential to get working on your defense as soon as possible. While some criminal defense attorneys wait for the prosecutor to make the first move, we take a proactive approach at Chudnovsky Law.
From the moment you hire us, our attorneys will work diligently to acquire evidence and witnesses to prepare for your defense. In some cases, we can work with law enforcement to have criminal charges stopped before they are even filed by the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office or LA City Attorney.
This can occur if we can meet with the Prosecutor to present evidence and witness testimony while they are evaluating their case and deciding what charges to file against you. In a best-case scenario, we can have the charges filed against you substantially reduced or even convince the DA not to file criminal charges at all.
How much we can affect a case before charges are filed depends largely on you and whether you act quickly to contact our Los Angeles criminal attorneys after your arrest. At Chudnovsky Law, we’re available around the clock for free consultations. Contact us today at (213) 212–5002 to discuss your case.
Our Los Angeles, CA, Criminal Defense Law Office and Headquarters
Chudnovsky Law – Criminal & DUI Lawyers is located at 1933 S Broadway Suite 1100, Los Angeles, CA 90007. We are near Metropolitan Court, Downtown Los Angeles and Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center. You can call us at (213) 212-5002, we are open 24 hours.
Getting to Chudnovsky Law from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is easy, just follow these simple driving directions. First, head west on W Century Blvd toward Vicksburg Ave. Turn right on S Sepulveda Blvd. Turn right onto Howard Hughes Pkwy. Next take the ramp onto I-405 N. Take I-405 N, then merge right onto I-10E toward Los Angeles. Take I-10E to Grand Ave. Exit at Grand Ave, continue toward Convention Center, then merge onto W 18th St. Continue on W 18th St, turn right on S Broadway, Chudnovsky Law will be on your right.
The Los Angeles Criminal Court Process
If you’re arrested and charged with a crime in Los Angeles, it’s important to understand the criminal court process and how to proceed. Listed below are the six steps you can expect when you enter the criminal court system in L.A.:
- Criminal charges. An official police report is given to the prosecutor to decide if there is a probable cause to file criminal charges against you.
- Arraignment. If you have been arrested and are in jail, the DA has 48 hours to file criminal charges against you. At the arraignment hearing in the Los Angeles County court location set for your case, you’ll hear the crime you’re being charged with and read your legal rights about how you can plead.
- Bail. Depending on the charges against you, you may be released on paying bail, on your own recognizance, or in some cases you’ll be held in jail until your case is heard. Bail is set according to court bail schedules: Felony | Misdemeanor.
- After arraignment. At this time your attorney and the prosecutor will share “discovery information,” file pre-trial motions, and in most instances, negotiate a plea bargain to resolve the case without a trial.
- Trial. If no pre-trial agreement is made, you will then proceed to trial before a judge or jury.
- Expungement. If certain conditions are met, after probation is successfully completed, California will automatically expunge your criminal record under California’s new criminal laws.
Knowing what to do after your arrest can go a long way. Police will often interrogate you and try to get you to incriminate yourself. It’s best to invoke your right to counsel and use the 5th Amendment, the right to remain silent.
What Should I Do After Being Arrested in Los Angeles?
Here are a few other things to know if arrested for a crime in Los Angeles:
- Do not discuss your case with anyone in jail or while using jail telephones.
- Do not consent to the search of your vehicle or property unless the police have a search warrant.
- Only appear in court with an experienced criminal defense attorney.
- Don’t investigate your case on your own.
- Don’t be intimidated by prosecutors into pleading guilty.
- Call a reputable criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as possible.
Recent Los Angeles Criminal Defense Results
Chudnovsky Law handles criminal cases in all Los Angeles County criminal courts. The following are some examples of victories our lawyers have achieved:
- Felony transportation and sale of one kilogram of cocaine HS 11352, L.A. Court. Client facing ten years in prison if convicted. Result: Not guilty verdict in a jury trial.
- Felony murder with gang enhancement 187 PC, Ventura Court. Client facing life without the possibility of parole. Result: Not guilty verdict in a jury trial.
- Felony rape and aggravated assault 261 PC and 245(a) PC, Torrance Court. Client facing 20 years in prison if convicted. Result: Reduced to 236 PC false imprisonment, two years with credit for time served.
- Felony corporal injury to spouse with an enhancement for great bodily injury 273.5 PC, West Covina Court. Client facing seven years in prison if convicted. Result: Reduced to 242 PC misdemeanor simple battery with no jail time.
- Felony battery on a police officer by non-U.S. citizen 243(c)(2) PC, LAX Airport Court. Client facing up to 16 months in jail and deportation. Result: Reduced to a misdemeanor, no jail time, no immigration consequence.
- Felony corporal injury to a spouse by non-U.S. citizen 273.5 PC, Metro Court. International executive faced two years in prison and aggravated felony conviction causing deportation and inadmissibility to U.S. Result: Case dismissed, no immigration consequence.
- Felony grand theft by an international student 459.5 PC, LAX Airport Court. The student faced jail and deportation. Result: Charges dismissed, formal diversion program, and the student continued their education in the U.S.
Past results are no guarantee of how cases will be resolved, as each case depends on its unique circumstances and legal questions. However, these results demonstrate how hard our criminal defense attorneys fight to ensure that every client receives the best possible outcome in serious criminal matters.
Contact a Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney Today
At Chudnovsky Law, we know what it takes to win a criminal case and protect your rights at every step in the criminal justice process. No matter what criminal charge is being brought against you, we will help ensure you receive the best outcome possible.
For a Free consultation with one of our experienced criminal defense attorneys in Los Angeles, call us today at (213) 212–5002 or contact us here online.
Los Angeles Courthouses
- Metropolitan Courthouse: 1945 S Hill St, Los Angeles, CA 90007
- Spring Street Courthouse – Los Angeles Superior Court: 312 N Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Los Angeles Superior Court, Central Civil West Courthouse: 600 S Commonwealth Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90005
- Los Angeles County Superior Court: 11701 S La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- Stanley Mosk Courthouse: 111 N Hill St, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- East Los Angeles Courthouse: 4848 Civic Center Way, East Los Angeles, CA 90022
- United States Courthouse: 350 W 1st St, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Central Arraignment Court: 429 Bauchet St, Los Angeles, CA 90012
When looking for the best criminal lawyer near me, note that we serve all of Los Angeles County including:
Glendale, Long Beach, Pasadena, Torrance, Van Nuys, Agoura Hills, Alhambra, Arcadia, Artesia, Baldwin Park, Bellflower, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Burbank, Canoga Park, Carson, Cerritos, Chatsworth, Compton, Culver City, Diamond Bar, Downey, Downtown Los Angeles, El Monte, El Segundo, Encino, Gardena, Glendora, Granada Hills, Hawaiian Gardens, Hermosa Beach, Hawthorne, Hollywood, Huntington Park, Inglewood, La Canada-Flintridge, La Habra, La Mirada, Lakewood, Lynwood, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Monrovia, Montebello, Monterey Park, North Hollywood, Northridge, Norwalk, Pacoima, Pico Rivera, Pomona, Rancho Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Reseda, Rosemead, San Dimas, San Fernando Valley, Santa Clarita, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Simi Valley, South Gate, South Pasadena, Sylmar, Tarzana, Temple City, Thousand Oaks, Toluca Lake, Venice Beach, Walnut, West Covina, West Hollywood, Westlake Village, Whittier, Woodland Hills.
We also serve Orange County, Ventura County, Riverside County, and San Bernardino County.