Many nurses assume the California Board of Nursing is on their side. In our experience as nursing license defense attorneys, this is not the case. The BRN’s number one priority is protecting health care consumers and promoting high quality nursing care in California. The California Board of Nursing and the Department of COnsumer Affairs Division of Investigation take misconduct allegations seriously. They prioritize complaints and quickly investigate and file CA BRN disciplinary actions against LVN and RN nurses.
California Board of Registered Nursing statistics show 9,067 nurse complaints and conviction/arrest notices in Fiscal Year 2022.
Nursing profession statistics:
- There are 466,704 active licensed registered nurses as of 2022 (1)
- There are 141,262 BVNPT licensed nurses in 2022
- A BRN nurse probation study found the grounds for probation were:
- 51% due to substance abuse or DUI
- 28% due to practice error
- 18% due to criminal misconduct
- 3% practice error and drug/misconduct
- The BRN Intervention Program had received 5,088 intakes as of 1/31/16:
- 3,189 (62%) were for substance abuse only
- 167 (3%) for mental illness
- 1,650 (32%) for dual diagnosis
What types of complaints does BRN have jurisdiction over?
- Gross negligence or incompetence, resulting in patient endangerment
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Patient abuse and neglect
- Practicing nursing without a license
- Violent, abusive or sexual offenses
- Fraud or theft offenses
- RNs on probation who have violated their probation conditions
- Mentally impaired and unsafe to practice
- Other acts or convictions substantially related to the practice of nursing
Which complaints are outside BRN’s jurisdiction?
- Impolite or rude behavior
- Employer, employee relations
- Labor issues
- Disputes over billing
- Interpersonal conflicts
- Complaints against healthcare clinics, facilities or agency operations
- Complaints against non-RN health care practitioners
BRN Complaint Resolution Process
To learn more, call Chudnovsky Law at (844) 325-1444 for a consultation, or visit:
- California professional license defense attorney
- California medical license defense attorney
- Dental license defense attorney
- Pharmacy license lawyer
- Chiropractic license defense attorney
Chudnovsky Law’s team of attorneys have decades of experience representing every type of nurse and licensed health care professional throughout California.
· · ·
- California limits penalties for nurses with criminal records
- How does the Patient’s Right to Know Act affect physicians?
- California Medical Board complaint trends
- Can pharmacists smoke weed in legal states?
- California medical malpractice settlement statistics
- Medical Board of California disciplinary actions